Rugby: Nakuru RFC beat Homeboyz to Driftwood Sevens
Nakuru RFC outfoxed Mwamba 12-7 to win Driftwood Sevens, the fourth leg of the National Sevens series, at the Mombasa Sports Club yesterday.
Homeboyz, the defending champions, needed to win in Mombasa to crown the series with four wins - with two series to go after winning Pinsloo (Nakuru), Sepetuka (Eldoret) and Kabeberi Sevens in Machakos.
But they are still in title contention and only need to make it to the semi finals of the remaining two circuits in Dala and Christie Sevens to win the title.
In the final match, Nakuru RFC took a 7-0 lead through Donald Aluoch’s converted try while Collins Injera replied for Mwamba with a try that Daniel Tabu converted for a 7-7 deadlock on regular time.
Nelson Oyoo broke the stalemate when he made a try to steer Nakuru to a 12-7 victory. In the semis, Mwamba upset Homeboyz 36-21 with touching down twice.
Geogry Ochieng struck a brace, Martin Wanjia added another try as Tabu adding another try and three conversions. Charles Omondi, Leonard Mugaisi and Mark Wandetto landed in three tries that Johnston Olindi converted.
In another semifinal of the main cup, Nakuru RFC rallied from behind to edge out Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) 12-10.
Homeboyz made it to the main cup semi finals with a 29-7 win over Resolution Kisii. The second quarter final between Stanbic Mwamba and Kabras Sugar went into extra time after a 7-7 stalemate before Daniel Taabu saved Mwamba with a try to win in 12-7.
In Challenge trophy final, Harlequins won after beating Resolution Impala 5-7.
In the fifth-place final, Nondies drubbed Kabras 22-0.
In semi finals, Strathmore Leos beat Masinde Muliro 27-7 while Makueni defeated Silverstone Kisumu 14-7.
Strathmore Leos and Masinde Muliro have been relegated.
- Gor Mahia coach Dylan Kerr resignsFootball 1 day ago
- Rally: KNRC battle moves to Machakos CountySports 18 hours ago
- I earn an indecent amount of money at PSG – Kylian MbappeFootball 4 days ago
- How Raila pumped K'Ogalo's camp in LiverpoolFootball 1 week ago
- Harambee Stars’ AFCON race is not done until fat lady singsFootball 2 weeks ago
- Xavi reveals who between Neymar and Mbappe is closer to reaching Messi’s levelFootball 1 week ago
- Kisii-based Shabana FC makes a return to the NSLFootball 2 weeks ago