Upper Hill win maiden East Africa boys’ rugby 15’s crown
Upper Hill are the new Brookside East Africa Secondary Schools 2018 rugby 15s champions.
Yesterday, the national champions confirmed their supremacy with a resounding 35-12 victory over Uganda’s St Mary’s Kisubi in their last round robin match at Busogo University.
Upper Hill, who won bronze in Gulu, Uganda, last year won their matches against Kakamega, Menengai as well as Ugandan sides Namilyango and Kisubi. Upper Hill captain Rolf Smith Ouma was well over the moon saying they had achieved their target. “We set the target and we have made it. We all vowed to not allow anything to stop us from accomplishing our mission here. We trained well and I am glad our efforts finally paid dividends,” Ouma said.
Kakamega and Menengai, who are second and third on the standings, are expected to complete a Kenyan 1-2-3 sweep today in their last matches when they play Kisubi and Namilyango respectively. Victories for Kenyans against Ugandan’s will see Kakamega, who won bronze at the nationals, take silver while national finalists Menengai settle for bronze.
Former East Africa girls basketball champions Kaya Tiwi’s bid to reclaim the title ended yesterday after they fell 69-67 to Uganda’s St Mary’s Kitende at the St. Vincent. Kaya Tiwi’s loss set the stage for an-all-Ugandan clash pitting Kitende and champions Buddo in a repeat of last year’s final.
Kaya Tiwi trailed 23-17 at the end of the first quarter before recovering to outclass the Ugandans 17-15 at the end of the second quarter but were behind 38-34 at halftime.
Kaya Tiwi appeared to run out of gas in the third quarter and Kitende, who won the title in 2015, led 16-14 in the third quarter. Kenyans returned stronger in the last quarter but their 19-15 win was not enough to glide them into the final.
Julia Akoth was the top scorer for Kaya Tiwi with 18 points while Valerie Namale was Kitende’s best scorer with 10 points. Kaya Tiwi will battle St Bernadette in their quest to win bronze medal they won in Gulu last year.
- Neymar shares injury update ahead of Champions League clash with Manchester UnitedFootball 2 weeks ago
- What Chelsea boss Sarri told Chelsea players in one hour crisis talksPremier League 6 days ago
- Nigerian to coach ArsenalFootball 5 hours ago
- Arsene Wenger set for return to football with four offers on the tableFootball 1 week ago
- Footballer killed by lightning during goal celebration Football 2 months ago
- Snow maintains lead as Opati chargesGolf 1 month ago
- Southampton fans mock Emiliano Sala death with aeroplane gesturesFootball 1 week ago