2018 Brookside Africa Secondary School Games in Rwanda: Kwanthanze and Kaya Tiwi glide into semi-final contests
Kwanthanze and Kaya Tiwi yesterday sailed into semi-finals of the 2018 Brookside Africa Secondary School Games in Musanze, Rwanda.
Girls’ volleyball defending champions Kwanthanze beat home girls IPRC Kigali 3-1 in their second Group A match to seal their last four spot. This was their second victory of the tournament having triumphed 3-2 over hosts and last year’s finalists St Alloys.
Unlike their opening match where they had to rally from one set down to beat the hosts, Kwanthanze controlled the match winning the first set in 25-21 but relaxed a little to their opponents to snatch the second set in 25-23. They fought back to take the third set in 25-23 before sealing victory in 26-24.
They will complete their campaign against Uganda’s Kinawa Mugongo in their bid to seal the top spot in Group A.
Kwanthanze captain Gladys Ekaru, who is seeking to guide her side to a second East Africa titel, said they had improved well and were looking to play better in their remaining matches.
Tough matches ahead
“We have achieved our aim of reaching the semis but I still believe that we need to work hard. We expect tougher match in the semis,” Ekaru said.
In another Group A encounter, St Alloys bounced back from their opening loss to hit Kinawa of Uganda 3-0.
In girls’ basketball, Kaya Tiwi thrashed Luyanzi College of Uganda 52-34 to secure their last four slot ahead of their last preliminary match against champions Buddo Secondary of Uganda today. Irene Anyango was on fire scoring 23 points while Julia Akoth, who was also instrumental in their first win, scored 13 with Jane Kanyamuleza standing out as Luyanzi’s top scorer with 14 points.
Kaya Tiwi earned a narrow 11-9 lead in the first quarter before improving to a 14- 7 score in the second quarter for a 25-16 advantage at halftime.
The 2016 winners, who are out to reclaim their title, dominated the Ugandans taking the fourth quarter 17-6 but lost defence grip.
- Video of Man United fans in Kenya celebrating after beating PSG goes viralFootball 2 weeks ago
- Pros to get last shot at Kenya Open ticketGolf 1 month ago
- Arsenal: Wenger throws his support behind ArsenalFootball 1 week ago
- The one player Solskjaer ‘doesn’t trust’ to face LiverpoolPremier League 1 month ago
- De Gea standing his ground and refusing to end contract stand-off with Manchester United chiefsFootball 1 month ago
- Marouane Fellaini announces retirementFootball 2 weeks ago
- Monaco suspend coach Thierry HenryFootball 2 months ago