Bandari end Gor Mahia’s unbeaten run in league

By Ernest Ndunda: Thursday, August 9th 2018 at 00:00 GMT +3 | Football
Gor Mahia striker, Jacque Tuyisenge [left] and Bandari striker, Dan Otewa fight for control of the ball during sportpesa premier league played at Mbaraki sports club in Mombasa. Bandari won 2--1. Photo Omondi Onyango/Standard

Gor Mahia’s seven-month unbeaten run in the Sportpesa Premier League came to an end after they lost 1-2 to a resurgent Bandari FC at Mabraki Sorts Club in Mombasa yesterday.

Gor Mahia had remained unbeaten for seven months scoring 58 goals from 22 matches. However, Bandari enjoy the record of the Premier league teams having conceded 13 goals -the least number of goals conceded by a team this season.

The last time K’Ogallo lost to Bandari was in Mombasa in 2014 where the latter won 2-1. In yesterday’s match, Bandari took a 2-0 lead in the first half through Dan Guyo and Iema Mwama while Jacques Tusiyenge pulled one back for Gor in the second half.

Bandari oozed confidence from the opening whistle mounting a wave of attacks in the opening minutes. The dockers surged ahead in the 10th minute when Dan Guya headed home Joshua Oyoo’s well taken corner to leave goalkeeper Shaaban Odhoji dumbfounded. The Dyllan Kerr’s side reacted to Bandari’s lead and went on to battle pushing the dockers into defensive.

Gor’s good show soon vanished in the 25th minute with Francis Kahata and Humphrey Mieno keeping Bandari’s keeper Farouq Shikhalo in close tabs.

Fellly Mulumba played a crucial role in the second goal in the 36th minute after he dribbled past Gor defence before passing the ball to Congolese Iema Mwama who shot into the net for a 2-0 lead at the breather.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

On resumption, Gor beefed up their their squad substituting George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo for Innocent Wafula as the match remained a see-saw affair.

Jacques Tuyisenge looked aggressive upfront but Bandari defence marshaled by Mulumba and Ugandan import Fred Nkata marked him tightly.

Bandari benched Mwama for Benjamin Mosha in the 60th minute. The match was put on hold for six minutes as an ambulance with medical team rushed onto the pitch to attend to Guya who sustained injury. Abdalla Hamisi replaced the injured Guya as K’Ogalo continued to pile pressure on the dockers in the dying minutes.

Tusiyenge raised Gor Mahia’s hope in the 77th minute after he scored from a feeble shot that caught keeper Shikhalo on the wrong side.

The match generated into rough play and referee Anthony Ogwayo red carded Nkaka for a second bookable offence.

“I attribute the defeat to busy schedule. We have been playing competitive football and the boys are exhausted, “ said Kerr, adding that the goalkeeper was unstable. “ I need to work on the keepers’ technical skills,” he said.