Women football: Thika Queens duo land scholarships in USA
Women Premier League side Thika Queens' Chritine Kitaru and Faith Kwamboka have landed a five-year scholarship deal with USA-based Coffeyville Community College.
The duo are the top strikers for the two-time champions, who are top of the table with 39 points, the same points with champions Vihiga Queens.
Another Kenyan Lenvix Rachuonyo is also in the USA on five-year deal. Thika Queens chairman Jared Chege said they will miss the players' services but said they have a strong team ahead of the second leg.
“First, we are grateful to see our effort is not lost and we wish the players all the best. We have signed up Esse Akida from Spedag and Judith Musimbi to replace them. Our aim is to develop players. As a club, we are happy when a player gets an opportunity to grow,” he said.
Former Kenyan international Simon Mulama, who was part of the team that negotiated the deal said it would help development of football in the country.
“This is a great opportunity for the girls, especially knowing how challenging women football is in the country. Most importantly, the girls were good students in high school and they performed well in class,” Mulama said.
The departure of the trio adds the number of women footballers to four who have landed scholarships in the past two years. Marjorlen Nekesa, formely at Kenyatta University is now a second year at the Oklahoma University. [Rebecca Jebet]
- Basketball: KPA’s trip to Tanzania in doubtBasketball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Madoka Half marathon set for October 20Athletics 2 days ago
- Kabaddi: Kasarani set to host African QualifiersSports 2 days ago
- Champions League: Late Firmino strike gives Liverpool 3-2 win over PSGFootball 2 days ago
- Champions League Group A: Atletico shake off domestic woes to clinch comeback win at MonacoFootball 2 days ago
- Barcelona 4-0 PSV Eindhoven: Messi scores stunning hat-trick in Champions LeagueFootball 2 days ago
- Tottenham boss Pochettino’s sensational rant after defeat to Inter revealedFootball 2 days ago