Harambee Starlets face Rwanda in last match of tourney
Harambee Starlets will face Rwanda’s She Amavubi in their last match of the Cecafa Women Championship at Stade de Kigali, Nyamirambo, today.
The national team posted poor performance in the 2018 edition of the regional tournament that’s a stark contrast to the past editions where they chalked up runner up spot behind Tanzania.
Speaking after their 0-1 loss to Ethiopia, Starlets head coach David Ouma said he has quality players and the transition of the team has been good.
“The players have shown character in all the matches they have played. All is not lost. We will go back to the drawing board to plan on how we can improve,” he said.
Starlets are seeking for a consolation win against the hosts but it will not be an easy ride.
Ouma’s charges started the championship on the wrong footing with a shock 1-0 defeat to Uganda in their opener and forced a 1-1 draw against holders Tanzania.
From three matches, Starlets lie on the bottom of the table standings with five-nation championship which was played in a round robin format.
Uganda lead the standing on seven points after finishing their matches on Wednesday while Ethiopia is second on six points from three matches.
Tanzania lie third with four points while hosts are fourth-placed with three points from three matches.
Despite starting well in the championship with a 1-0 win over Tanzania, Rwanda lost 3-0 to Ethiopia before forcing a 2-2 draw against a rejuvenated Crested Cranes of Uganda in their third match. Kenya will only be playing for formality while Rwanda are seeking points.
- Man United goalkeeper De Gea blasts ‘stupid’ criticismFootball 14 hours ago
- Real Madrid’s plans for stunning Sh41 billion stadium revealed [Photos]Football 11 hours ago
- Heartwarming story of Mfang'ano, island of great soccer talentFootball 11 hours ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 7 hours ago
- Sang: We won't phase out Kipchoge Keino's nameAthletics 22 hours ago
- Champions League Group A: Atletico shake off domestic woes to clinch comeback win at MonacoFootball 22 hours ago
- Barcelona 4-0 PSV Eindhoven: Messi scores stunning hat-trick in Champions LeagueFootball 15 hours ago