Anthony Joshua next fight confirmed
Anthony Joshua will fight Alexander Povetkin on September 22 at Wembley for the WBA Super, IBF, WBO and IBO Heavyweight World titles.
"I can’t wait to get back in the ring, the end of March feels a long time ago now,” said Joshua. “Povetkin is a serious challenge that I will prepare meticulously for. He has serious pedigree and only a fool would underestimate what he brings to the table.
“Training hasn’t stopped for me, but the next 10 weeks ahead will be intense both mentally and physically. I will push myself to breaking point to make sure I am in peak condition for another huge night for British boxing at Wembley Stadium on September 22nd.”
Povetkin is confident of causing the upset after brutally knocking out David Price in his last outing.
“The battle for the World title has always been my goal,” said Povetkin. “I fought for the moment to face the strongest in the World and on September 22 I get my opportunity. Anthony Joshua has four belts and I want them all. I'm glad that our fight will finally take place, the meeting of two Olympic Champions in the ring is destined to be a breath-taking event.”
While Eddie Hearn admitted his excitement at returning to Wembley for the first time since Joshua defeated Wladimir Klitschko.
“I can’t wait to return to Wembley on September 22 for what I believe will be one of the biggest tests of AJ’s career,” said Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn .
“Last time he was there he produced one of the most dramatic fights and endings in the history of the sport and I expect this fight to be full of energy and drama - Povetkin is a Top 3 Heavyweight and extremely dangerous but in AJ I see the best Heavyweight in the World today and I think we will see a major statement.
“It will be another huge night for British boxing with major championship fights on the card and another one of those special nights and atmospheres that will be watched by millions all around the World.”
- Golf: Woods ends five-year drought with Tour Championship triumphGolf 22 hours ago
- Aged 51, George Weah comes out of retirement [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Gary Neville warns Paul Pogba, fuels transfer speculationPremier League 1 week ago
- Chelsea boss Sarri gives statement on Hazard and Courtois futuresGossip & Rumours 2 months ago
- UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE: Here’s where to place your bets tonightFootball 2 weeks ago
- Angry wife films World Cup star naked in sauna with 'prostitute' [Photos]Football 1 day ago
- Update on retired striker Ronaldo’s recovery, days after he was admitted to ICUFootball 1 month ago