Uruguay international Lucas Torreira confirms he's joining Arsenal
Lucas Torreira's move to Arsenal is imminent after the Uruguay international confirmed that he was off to London to complete his medical with the north London club.
The Gunners agreed a fee with Sampdoria for his services before the World Cup began, but Torreira held off completing the move until he was home from Russia, to allow him to focus on the tournament.
The 22-year-old admitted that he is now off to London to complete his move, instead of travelling back to Montevideo with the rest of his teammates.
Torreira spoke to Uruguayan media at the airport ahead of his flight to London.
He told Telenoche: "I would have been very happy to be able to return to Uruguay with my teammates, but this is a fantastic opportunity [to join Arsenal] and I do not want to waste it."
Talk has already turned to what shirt number the Uruguayan may be handed, so we decided to take a look at the options available to him.
Currently at Arsenal the number three is vacant. It's normally reserved for a left-back, and was previously worn by Nigel Winterburn and Ashley Cole.
Nacho Monreal and Sead Kolasinac, who wear the 18 and 31 shirt respectively, could feasibly switch to three, freeing up their numbers for Torreira.
But it seems unlikely there will be any movement on this front.
The second number - perhaps the most likely to be handed to Torreira - is 11.
The number was most recently worn by Mesut Ozil, who always had his eye on Jack Wilshere's 10, which he recently managed to get his hands on.
Torreira isn't an attacking midfielder, like the number 11 would suggest, but it's the closest first team shirt to his position on the pitch.
Aside from these two choices, other numbers available are 24, 29, and 33.
- Why Harambee Stars have not received Sh50 million despite 3-0 win over Ethiopia Football 2 days ago
- Kenya 3-0 Ethiopia: Pictures of DP Ruto celebrating wildly go viral Football 2 days ago
- Why Kerr is a worried man: New season kicks off on December 8Football 10 hours ago
- Mourinho charged by FA Football 17 hours ago
- Njoroge served with warm Tea Fields titleGolf 1 day ago
- KPL: Matano speaks on Tusker successFootball 10 hours ago
- Rono, Korir lined up for Toronto MarathonAthletics 10 hours ago