AFC Leopards make light work of Wazito
AFC Leopards squeezed a vital 3-2 win over Wazito in yesterday’s Kenyan Premier League (KPL) match in Machakos.
It was the third successive win for Leopards, who now move second on the log with 13 points, three less than leaders Gor Mahia.
For the second week on the trot, suspended coach Robert Matano was missing at the touchline even as reports emerged that the club had decided to terminate his two-year contract.
Club chairman Dan Mulee said they are waiting for the coach to ‘iron out a few things’ before they make a decision on his future.
Back on the pitch, Leopards seemed more determined to pick another win after last Sunday’s 4-3 victory over Mathare United.
Leopards' high tempo coupled with good passing easily opened up the Wazito backline.
Leopards scored through Whyvonne Isuzza (two goals) and Ezekiel Odera (one), while Pistone Mutamba scored twice for Wazito.
In the opening minutes, Brian Marita failed to tap home a Victor Majid cross before he turned provider for Whyvonne Isuzza, whose header failed to beat Philip Odhiambo at Wazito goal.
After 15 minutes of play, Ezekiel Odera missed a chance to put Leopards ahead from the penalty spot. The lethal striker was brought down by Emmanuel Tienan and decided to take the penalty, which was punched to safety by the Wazito goalkeeper.
The miss rejuvenated Wazito somewhat as they put up a brilliant attack and were rewarded five minutes later. Pistone Mutamba rose above Salim Abdalla to head past a stranded Jairus Odira from a well-taken Joachim Omollo free kick.
The reaction from Leopards was almost instant as they camped in Wazito’s half. Odera atoned for his miss with a scissor kick that beat the Wazito custodian at the bottom left corner for a 1-1 score at halftime.
- Martial free to leave Manchester United but with these conditionsFootball 5 hours ago
- Revealed! Where Hazard wants to play next season Football 16 hours ago
- Barcelona player linked with shock move to ArsenalFootball 19 hours ago
- Reports: Less than a year after joining Blues from Arsenal, Giroud heading out of club ahead of transferFootball 19 hours ago
- Barcelona frustrate Manchester United’s plan to sign Chelsea superstarFootball 20 hours ago
- Mesut Ozil retires from international footballFootball 18 hours ago
- Former FKF boss Sam Nyamweya mourns Mama OliechFootball 16 hours ago