Egyptian journalist tells Liverpool’s Mohammed Salah to shave his beard to avoid 'terrorist look'
An Egyptian columnist has known as Salah Montaser has caused a social media outburst, after he penned down an article where he criticized Liverpool striker Mohammed Salah for keeping his beard.
In his piece published by the state-run media outlet Al-Ahram, Montaser argued that Salah’s beard ‘puts him in the same basket with terrorists.’ The journalist prevailed upon the Egyptian football maestro to trim off his trademark beard.
The piece however did not augur well with those who read it. Many people in the social media reacted angrily to the article, bashing the journalist for acting stereotypical and insensitive to the player.
Critics stated that keeping facial hair is one’s choice and Salah should not be subjected to such kind of negative judgment.
Salah is a joint top scorer with Tottenham Hotspurs striker Harry Kane. The former Chelsea man has hit a top notch form after moving from Roma in the last summer. He could be said to be in contention for English Premier League player of the year.
Recently, the Egyptian won the African Footballer of the year award 2017, being a honour for his contribution in Liverpool’s campaign as well as lifting Egypt to the World Cup scheduled for Russia in June this year.
- BOXING: Police enter five boxersBoxing 7 hours ago
- PHOTOS: South Korea training tracksuit causes stir at World CupWorld Cup 2018 4 days ago
- Maradona demands access to Argentina training ground in bid to resurrect World Cup 2018 campaignWorld Cup 2018 16 hours ago
- Coach Namcos sacked as players speak outRugby 1 day ago
- Argentina in crisis as coach Sampaoli faces sexual misconduct caseWorld Cup 2018 6 days ago
- PHOTOS: Game Yetu in Russia as Belgium take on TunisiaWorld Cup 2018 17 hours ago
- Kenya Sevens coach Simiyu sackedRugby 2 days ago