Messi’s wife gives birth – misses Barcelona vs Malaga game
La Liga leaders Barcelona allowed Lionel Messi to miss their fixture at Malaga on Saturday following the birth of his third son.
"A last minute change to the FC Barcelona squad. Leo Messi has withdrawn for personal reasons and Yerry Mina takes his place," said the statement on the club's official website (www.fcbarcelona.com)
Messi later added on his Instagram account: "Welcome Ciro! Thanks to God everything went perfectly. His mother and he are doing really well. We are very happy."
It is the first time this season that Messi, La Liga's top scorer with 24 goals, has not been included in the matchday squad for a league game. He has started 26 of Barca's 27 games, while he came off the bench against Espanyol on Feb. 4.
Barca lead the Liga standings on 69 points, enjoying an eight-point lead over nearest challengers Atletico.
- Anthony Martial given new nickname by Manchester United fansFootball 3 days ago
- Kenya battle Zambia for final berthFootball 14 hours ago
- Aprot and Kimitei to light up Kapsokwony raceAthletics 14 hours ago
- Man United striker Lukaku has finally spoken about his body, reveals his problemFootball 4 days ago
- David De Gea ‘makes decision on Manchester United future’Football 2 hours ago
- Finally! Chelsea boss Sarri reveals what they did to Man City to end their unbeaten runFootball 4 days ago
- ‘This was the hardest decision of my career’ – Pep GuardiolaPremier League 1 month ago