Rich menu on the cards
The 2018 Kenya Cup League reaches its penultimate round today with six matches lined up across the country in what could be a potentially decisive weekend both at the top and bottom of the table.
Despite having qualified for the play-offs with a game to spare in the regular season, unbeaten champions Kenya Commercial Bank (44 points) will be hoping to extend their dominance over Kabras Sugar when the two clash in Ruaraka.
A victory for the bankers today will guarantee a top two finish and a home semifinal slot.
Just like KCB, third-placed Kabras (38) have already booked a play-off berth but they will be out to break jinx against the five time champions and secure a top two finish.
Although KCB have never lost to the 2016 champions since earning a topflight promotion, bankers head coach Curtis Olago played down his side’s favourites tag insisting that history will count for nothing in such a match.
“Dominating against Kabras is not a concern to us and we don’t dwell on what happened in the past. This is a different game with different objectives. Whether unbeaten or not those are just statistics, they don’t make sense because numbers don’t win matches,” Olago told The Standard Sports.
Second-placed Homeboyz will be seeking to strengthen their quest for a direct semifinal berth with a bonus point win against the already relegated Regional Logistics Mombasa at Jamhuri Park as fifth placed Kenya Harlequins take on Kisii at the RFUEA Grounds.
Fourth-placed Impala are already guaranteed qualification to the Top Six playoffs as they host Strathmore who currently occupy the final playoff slot. A victory for the Sarries could, depending on the outcome of the KCB- Kabras match, see them climb to third on the log while a win for the scholars will virtually secure their qualification for the last six.
- Death threats sent to Colombian midfielder Sanchez after he was red carded World Cup 2018 3 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Why I am growing a beard this World Cup seasonWorld Cup 2018 19 hours ago
- Kenya Sevens coach Simiyu sackedRugby 18 hours ago
- Turmoil in Kenya Sevens team campRugby 14 hours ago
- Long-hitting Dustin Johnson reigns as number oneGolf 1 day ago
- Mick Foley wants WWE to make Big Van Vader Hall of FamerSports 6 hours ago
- The number United fans think new signing Fred should be givenGossip & Rumours 58 minutes ago