Rich menu on the cards
The 2018 Kenya Cup League reaches its penultimate round today with six matches lined up across the country in what could be a potentially decisive weekend both at the top and bottom of the table.
Despite having qualified for the play-offs with a game to spare in the regular season, unbeaten champions Kenya Commercial Bank (44 points) will be hoping to extend their dominance over Kabras Sugar when the two clash in Ruaraka.
A victory for the bankers today will guarantee a top two finish and a home semifinal slot.
Just like KCB, third-placed Kabras (38) have already booked a play-off berth but they will be out to break jinx against the five time champions and secure a top two finish.
Although KCB have never lost to the 2016 champions since earning a topflight promotion, bankers head coach Curtis Olago played down his side’s favourites tag insisting that history will count for nothing in such a match.
“Dominating against Kabras is not a concern to us and we don’t dwell on what happened in the past. This is a different game with different objectives. Whether unbeaten or not those are just statistics, they don’t make sense because numbers don’t win matches,” Olago told The Standard Sports.
Second-placed Homeboyz will be seeking to strengthen their quest for a direct semifinal berth with a bonus point win against the already relegated Regional Logistics Mombasa at Jamhuri Park as fifth placed Kenya Harlequins take on Kisii at the RFUEA Grounds.
Fourth-placed Impala are already guaranteed qualification to the Top Six playoffs as they host Strathmore who currently occupy the final playoff slot. A victory for the Sarries could, depending on the outcome of the KCB- Kabras match, see them climb to third on the log while a win for the scholars will virtually secure their qualification for the last six.
- Malkia Strikers WhatsApp group admin locks out ‘vichwa ngumu’Volleyball and Handball 13 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo will face Manchester United, even after red cardFootball 14 hours ago
- Why status quo must remain in the Premier League this weekendFootball 4 hours ago
- Tottenham coach confirms he could be fired within a weekPremier League 9 hours ago
- Migne names Stars squad for Ethiopia Afcon qualifierFootball 2 hours ago
- Ronaldo’s red card was down to an absurb hallucination – World Cup-winning coachFootball 7 hours ago
- Senior KPL coach and star player in silent war over hot slayqueenFootball 12 hours ago