Why I snubbed Manchester United but I don’t regret it, says Perisic
Manchester United failed in their attempts to sign Ivan Perisic from Inter Milan during the summer.
Jose Mourinho identified the Croat as one of his top targets, but United could not get the deal across the line.
The 28-year-old is currently enjoying a sensational season with Inter, who are top of Serie A after their 5-0 win over Chievo at the weekend. Perisic scored three as Luciano Spalletti's side outlined their title credentials.
And Perisic has revealed that it was Spalletti who convinced him to turn down United's offer and stay at Inter.
"Spalletti told us that every player is important and we got proof of that in the win, as even those who haven’t had as much space made their mark," he told Mediaset Premium. "Spalletti was extremely important in convincing me to stay."
Perisic, who signed a new five-year contract in September, and his team-mates face current champions Juventus on Saturday, knowing a result will be crucial for their title hopes.
"We must continue like this, as we waited a long time for this moment to come and now we want to win Spalletti, meanwhile, has played down what many are billing as a title-decider.
“The opportunity is the same as always; every game offers three points, three very important points,” Spalletti said. “When the others win we have to win to keep pace, when the others lose we have to win to pick up three points.”
- De Bruyne to miss three months with knee injuryFootball 7 hours ago
- Namibia coach wary of Simbas threat in Cup tieRugby 21 hours ago
- Ashley and Njenga win in Karen tourney for juniorsGolf 1 day ago
- Cavalry Cup set to light up Manyatta Polo Club in GilgilSports 21 hours ago
- Ujuzisoka land in SpainFootball 21 hours ago
- Hail Kenya’s shooting stars: Local sharpshooters post superb display in South AfricaSports 21 hours ago
- How Bett’s talent was tapped while in schoolAthletics 6 days ago