Series champions South Africa give Kenya a hiding: Shujaa bounces back from Boks’ humiliation to beat Uganda in Dubai series
Kenya’s slim glide into Main Cup: Shujaa bounces back from Boks’ humiliation to beat Uganda in Dubai series
Kenya Sevens have qualified for today’s Dubai Sevens Main Cup quarter-final after beating Uganda 29-14 in a physical decisive final Group A match at The Sevens Stadium, last evening.
Dennis Ombachi grounded Kenya’s first try but was stretched off the pitch after suffering an injury while scoring under the posts. Other Shujaa tries were scored by Eden Agero, Dan Sikuta, Oscar Ayodi and Brian Tanga with Solomon Okia and Phillip Wokorach grounding Cranes’ tries.
However, Shujaa’s defensive frailties were exposed against Series champions South Africa who humiliated them 48-5 in their second match.
This was just after speedster Collins Injera had scored a brace of tries to inspire the national sevens team to a 29-15 victory over Canada in their opening match.
Jeffery Oluoch powered over from a turn over ball to put Kenya ahead, but his celebration was cut short by Seabelo Senatla, who latched onto a loose ball in the middle to draw level before he grabbed the brace for the tournament’s champions. Cecil Afrika’s unconverted try on the stroke of halftime made it 17-5.
Senetla then received a pass from Afrika, outpaced the Kenyan defence to score his third try of the game after restart.
Branco du Preez and substitute Justin Geduld would then put the game beyond Kenya’s reach with a try each.
Kwagga Smith piled more misery on Kenya with a seventh try for the Blitzboks before Rosco Speckman came off the bench to complete the rout with a converted effort and secure South Africa a Main Cup quarter-finals ticket with a game to spare.
- De Bruyne to miss three months with knee injuryFootball 7 hours ago
- Ashley and Njenga win in Karen tourney for juniorsGolf 1 day ago
- Namibia coach wary of Simbas threat in Cup tieRugby 21 hours ago
- Cavalry Cup set to light up Manyatta Polo Club in GilgilSports 21 hours ago
- Ujuzisoka land in SpainFootball 21 hours ago
- Hail Kenya’s shooting stars: Local sharpshooters post superb display in South AfricaSports 21 hours ago
- How Bett’s talent was tapped while in schoolAthletics 6 days ago