Sharapova to play Wimbledon qualifiers after opting against wildcard

[PHOTO: COURTESY]

Maria Sharapova said Friday she will not request a wildcard for Wimbledon, instead opting to play in qualifying for the Grand Slam she won in 2004, as she returns from a doping ban.

The Russian former world number one was this week refused a wildcard for the French Open following her 15-month ban for taking meldonium.

"Because of my improved ranking after the first three tournaments of my return, I will also be playing the qualifying of Wimbledon in Roehampton, and will not be requesting a wildcard into the main draw," said Sharapova on her website.

The 30-year-old was controversially handed a wildcard for next month's WTA grasscourt event in Birmingham, a key warm-up for Wimbledon with eight of the world's top 10 set to take part, including world number one Angelique Kerber.

"A few months ago I received a wildcard offer from Birmingham, one of my most memorable tournaments as a young player. I am so grateful and excited to be playing this event again!" she said.

Sharapova returned from her doping ban on April 26 but relied on wildcards to get into tournaments because her world ranking points expired while she was banned. The five-time Grand Slam winner had plummeted to 211.

She was initially banned for two years for using meldonium, with the penalty later reduced by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), which ruled she was not an intentional doper.

After her ban expired, Sharapova returned to competition last month at the Stuttgart Open, reaching the semi-finals, and progressed to the last 32 of the Madrid Open, failing to earn a qualifying spot for the French Open, the second Grand Slam of the season, which starts later this month.

Sharapova this week responded to her French Open wildcard snub with a defiant Twitter message, saying: "If this is what it takes to rise up again, then I am in it all the way, everyday."

The Russian also allayed fears about a thigh injury that saw her retire from this week's Rome Masters.

"I have already started getting treatment on the injury I sustained a few days ago in Rome and will begin my preparation as soon I get better," she said.

Next Story
LATEST STORIES
Matteo Darmian asks Jose Mourinho to let him join Juventus

Matteo Darmian has asked to leave Manchester United for Juventus.

Egypt forward Salah joins Liverpool

Egyptian winger Mohamed Salah has completed his move to Liverpool from AS Roma, the Premier league club said on Thursday.

Sanchez breaks Chile scoring record in Germany draw

Alexis Sanchez became Chile's all-time leading scorer when he grabbed an early goal in their 1-1 draw against Germany at the Confederations Cup on Thursday.

Agency and Meru County to complete Kinoru stadium work

Sports Kenya and Meru County government will co-operate in completing the construction of Kinoru Sports Centre, officials agreed yesterday.

Jubilation time for Kobala and Kanga High

Kobala Mixed recaptured their girls' football title yesterday as this year’s Nyanza Region secondary schools Term Two B games ended yesterday at Homa Bay High School.

Bodybuilder Bonac to grace Mr Kenya event

American-based professional body-builder William Bonac will be the guest star at this year's Mr Kenya body-building championships.

More Stories
Tennis: Nadal wins record-breaking 10th French Open

Rafael Nadal said it was "impossible" to describe his emotions after demolishing Stan Wawrinka on Sunday to claim a record 10th French Open title.

Nadal crushes Thiem to set up Wawrinka showdown

Rafa Nadal moved to within one victory of 'La Decima' at the French Open as he demolished rising Austrian Dominic Thiem 6-3 6-4 6-0 with a daunting show of force in Friday's semi-final.

Champ Djokovic down and out

Novak Djokovic’s French Open title defence ended with a surprisingly lopsided 7-6 (5), 6-3, 6-0 quarter-final loss to sixth-seeded Dominic Thiem of Austria yesterday.