Nakumatt drop points in KPL promotion chase
Former Kenyan Premier League side Nakuru All Stars forced second-placed Nakumatt FC to a one all draw in a FKF National Super League match at Afraha Stadium in Nakuru yesterday.
Nakumatt remains second with 56 points from 27 matches behind leaders Nzoia United as the chase for the Kenyan Premier League qualification enters the home stretch.
Nakumatt should have bagged maximum points after Peter Nzuki had his spot kick saved by Nakuru All Stars custodian Martin Lule in the dying minutes, having taken a 13th minute lead through John Njoroge.
Njoroge received a perfect cross from former Gor Mahia and AFC Leopards midfielder Timona Wanyonyi and he did not disappoint when he tapped in past Lule.
The lead spurred on the home team, who attacked from all fronts with Erick Omonge dribbling past two defenders before passing the ball to Michael Osundwa, who unleashed a powerful volley past Nakumatt goalkeeper Charles Ouma for the equaliser in the 27th minute.
Osundwa missed another golden opportunity five minutes later when he was overwhelmed by All Stars defenders Teddy Siwa, Willy Waranga and Erick Omonge.
Nakumatt coach Fred Ambani said they are going back to the drawing board to improve on their next matches. He said they wasted many opportunities in a match they should have won with a bigger margin.
“We are going back to the drawing board to chart out on our next matches as the league enters the home stretch. We should have won this match by wide margin had we made good use of the begging opportunities that came our way. That will not deter us in our resolve to join the top league,” he told Feverpitch in a post-match interview.
“We even missed a penalty that should have made us bag maximum points against our opponents whom we had outplayed in both halves,” he added.
Nakumatt face Nairobi Stima at Ruaraka Grounds on Wednesday.
- Wolves stun 'poor' Man United to reach FA Cup semisFootball 1 month ago
- Maara sinks 6 birdies to triumph over 184 golfersGolf 2 weeks ago
- Marouane Fellaini announces retirementFootball 1 month ago
- How Messi reacted to Ronaldo's Champions League exitFootball 5 days ago
- Salah screamer gives Liverpool vital win against ChelseaPremier League 1 week ago
- Oliech fired up for BerkaneFootball 3 weeks ago
- Three broke Kenyan footballers find solace in rich woman’s bedroomGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago