Nakumatt drop points in KPL promotion chase
Former Kenyan Premier League side Nakuru All Stars forced second-placed Nakumatt FC to a one all draw in a FKF National Super League match at Afraha Stadium in Nakuru yesterday.
Nakumatt remains second with 56 points from 27 matches behind leaders Nzoia United as the chase for the Kenyan Premier League qualification enters the home stretch.
Nakumatt should have bagged maximum points after Peter Nzuki had his spot kick saved by Nakuru All Stars custodian Martin Lule in the dying minutes, having taken a 13th minute lead through John Njoroge.
Njoroge received a perfect cross from former Gor Mahia and AFC Leopards midfielder Timona Wanyonyi and he did not disappoint when he tapped in past Lule.
The lead spurred on the home team, who attacked from all fronts with Erick Omonge dribbling past two defenders before passing the ball to Michael Osundwa, who unleashed a powerful volley past Nakumatt goalkeeper Charles Ouma for the equaliser in the 27th minute.
Osundwa missed another golden opportunity five minutes later when he was overwhelmed by All Stars defenders Teddy Siwa, Willy Waranga and Erick Omonge.
Nakumatt coach Fred Ambani said they are going back to the drawing board to improve on their next matches. He said they wasted many opportunities in a match they should have won with a bigger margin.
“We are going back to the drawing board to chart out on our next matches as the league enters the home stretch. We should have won this match by wide margin had we made good use of the begging opportunities that came our way. That will not deter us in our resolve to join the top league,” he told Feverpitch in a post-match interview.
“We even missed a penalty that should have made us bag maximum points against our opponents whom we had outplayed in both halves,” he added.
Nakumatt face Nairobi Stima at Ruaraka Grounds on Wednesday.
- Hosts Kakamega Homeboyz beat AFC Leapards at Bkhungu StadiumFootball 1 day ago
- Drama as coach benches top player as punishment for ‘eating’ his wife Gossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Mesut Ozil linked with move to new club in JanuaryFootball 5 days ago
- De Bryune injury update – bad news for Man City fansPremier League 2 weeks ago
- Harambee Stars hoyeee! Leo tunaizimia timu hii yetu sigaretiFootball 1 month ago
- Gor inch closer to CAF group stages after beating Nigeria’s Lobi Stars 3-1Football 8 hours ago
- Key lessons from visit of EPL legend and businessman Robbie Fowler for Kenya’s sports organisationsFootball 3 weeks ago