Kamworor reaps fruits of his love for athletics
Geoffrey Kamworor and Peris Jepchirchir’s athletics scripts read like those of most Kenyan world-beating athletes –they draw inspiration from other great athletes.
For Kamworor, he had unbridled love for athletics from his childhood, but haboured no interest in full-time athletics.
The 23-year-old did not look outside his village for inspiration –he comes from a region with a rich list of athletics pedigree in 5,000m and 10,000m.
Within a radius of 10-kilometres from his home in Keiyo South, live the world’s long distance greats among them double world champion Vivian Cheruiyot, former Military Games 5,000m champion Sammy Kipketer and Kenyan-turned-Qatari Albert Chepkurui.
As a young boy, Kamworor could sneak from home during weekends to the nearby athletics-rich Kapkenda Girls High School, where he peeped through the live fence to watch world-beaters train.
Former Olympic 1,500m champion Nancy Jebet Lagat, former world 3,000m champion Veronica Nyaruai and former world cross-country silver medalist Prisca Jepleting are among globe-trotting stars, who studied at the school.
“I loved the sport from childhood. I am happy that I can realise my dreams here to win a second title. This performance is confirmation that I can break the 21km world record in future,” said Kamworor.
Not bad for a boy, who performed well in English and had trained his sights on becoming a lawyer. Incidentally, he is a policeman and will always enforce the law.
“I knew athletics would enable me get a scholar to USA and pursue a degree in law. That's why I loved English language so much,” said Kipsang.
But according to Joel Ruto, Kamworor's games teacher, who spotted his running talent, advised him to take up athletics seriously.
- Man United speak on selling David De GeaFootball 3 weeks ago
- Beautiful Kenyan hockey girl ropes sponsor, now wants to buy clubGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago
- Anxiety over reports Harambee Stars could miss Ghana tripFootball 1 month ago
- REVEALED: How Impala utility Sidindi diedRugby 1 month ago
- Kylian Mbappe drops biggest hint on where he’ll be playing next seasonFootball 1 month ago
- Watford produce one of the great FA Cup comebacks by beating WolvesFootball 2 weeks ago
- How Lukaku and Sanchez celebrated Man Utd's win at Crystal PalaceFootball 1 month ago