MCAs plan to impeach Orengo's deputy, Oduol

Siaya Governor James Orengo and his deputy William Oduol on the campaign trail in the run-up to the 2022 elections. [File, Standard] 

Siaya Deputy Governor William Oduor is staring at impeachment by MCAs.

East Asembo MCA Gordon Onguru has filed a notice motion for the impeachment of Governor James Orengo’s deputy.

The deputy governor, however, said he did not know the grounds for his planned ouster.

“When you’re fighting graft you must be prepared for anything. I will face it head-on,” he said.

Earlier, the MCAs dismissed the deputy governors, allegations of corruption and misappropriation in the executive.

In a report tabled before the assembly for adoption on Monday, the assembly termed Oduol’s allegations as unsubstantiated.

While tabling the report, Usonga MCA Sylvester Madialo said there were no projects removed from the budget as claimed by Oduol in his written submissions.

In his written submission, the deputy governor raised concern on the status of allocation of funds in the Supplementary Budget I for FY 2022/2023 towards the governor and deputy governor’s residences, upgrading to bitumen standard of Segere-Ouru-Ogaso road and Siaya Stadium.

He claimed that funds allocated towards the three projects in Alego-Usonga were removed during the making of the Supplementary Budget.

But in the report adopted by the assembly, the committee observed that the re-allocation did not only affect projects domiciled in Alego Usonga sub-county as alleged by Oduol, but also projects from other sub-counties were equally affected.

On the deputy governor’s allegations that he was not involved in decision-making at the county administration, the committee stated that he did not provide evidence that he ever gave an opinion, which was disregarded.

Oduol who has fallen out with his boss also claimed that there were irregular financial transactions amounting to about Sh100 million.

He further alleged a payroll fraud of Sh5.4 million in December last year and another Sh2.5 million.

In its report, the committee revealed that a suspicious voucher and Ifmis printout indicated that the processing of the voucher worth Sh5.4 million was stopped, requisition of the same was not done, and no payment done.

On allegations that some officers were targeted for removal from public service because of coming from Alego-Usonga, the committee confirmed that one of the said officials has voluntarily resigned vide a letter dated February 25.