More than 18 families in Nyandiwa displaced by floods
By James Omoro | November 15th 2020
More than 18 families have been displaced as a result of flooding in Nyandiwa, Suba sub-county.
Rental houses and shops in Nyandiwa trading centre were marooned.
The floods also destroyed property of unknown value. Suba Deputy County Commissioner Joseph Maina said the flooding was as a result of poor drainage on the Nyandiwa-Nyenga road that is under construction.
“This type of flood has not been witnessed here before. It has rendered many families homeless,” said Mr Maina.
He appealed to the county's disaster management department to rescue the residents as a long-term solution was sought.
Elsewhere in Ndhiwa sub-county, hundreds of traders and residents of West Kanyadoto and South Kanyikela locations failed to access Riat and Amoyo markets after River Oyombe burst its banks, cutting the connection between the two markets.
The residents appealed to the government to find a lasting solution to the problem.
“We appeal to the government to save us from perennial flooding of River Oyombe,” said Lawrence Omoro, a resident.
Committed teacher ‘won’t be punished by TSC’
By Brian Okoth
- School records over 90 pupils with 400 marks and above
- Nightmare for road users as Expressway takes shape
- Video: Humility was my secret, top girl in 2020 KCPE wants to be neurosurgeon
- Lawrence Warunge denies killing parents, siblings, farmhand
By Brian Okoth
- Mother, daughter arrested after weapons found in Racecourse, Nairobi
By Betty Njeru