The Government has extended the dusk-to-dawn curfew in Marsabit by a month.
This follows the lapse of the earlier 30-days curfew imposed in May to curb insecurity in the region.
Interior CS Fred Matiang’i in a special gazette notice dated June 02 said the region, still faced a serious threat to security and public order.
“This Order shall apply during the hours of darkness between Six O’clock in the evening and Six O’clock in the morning with effect from 1st June 2022 and shall remain in effect for a period of thirty days,” stated CS Matiang’i.
However, he said, the restrictions would not affect the Kom Durte area of Isiolo as was the case in the previous curfew.
Matiang’i said the operation would run in tandem with a disarmament exercise targeting illegal guns and ammunition.
More than 50 suspects have been arrested and are facing charges in connection with recoveries and reported killings in the region.
The security operation is being spearheaded by Commissioner of police Bernard Kituku Mbatha who previously steered a security operation in the troubled Laikipia area in 2021.
Matiang’i said the National Security Council had decided to launch “Operation Rejesha Amani Marsabit” following incessant inter-ethnic attacks that have defied peace initiatives and the lapse of the initial 30-day window sought by county leaders to secure reconciliation.
The multi-agency security team is drawn from the General Service Unit (GSU), the Rapid Deployment Unit, the Quick Response Unit, and the Anti Stock Theft Unit, among others.