Duale: Summon CS Magoha on mass transfers
By Abdimalik Ismail Hajir | February 17th 2020
National Assembly Majority Leader Aden Duale (pictured) wants the government to explain the mass transfers of teachers from Garissa schools.
Speaking yesterday in Garissa, Mr Duale said Parliament should summon Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha and Teachers Service Commission boss Nancy Macharia to explain the transfers.
He said the redeployments have created an academic crisis in Garissa, adding that the Teachers Service Commission Act does not allow teachers to be transferred across the country along tribal, ethnic and religious lines.
Duale said this is what happened when the Garissa transfers were executed.
All non-local teachers were transferred by their employer after the killing of three tutors in Kamuthey village on January 13.
A week before the terror incident, four pupils in Saretho area were killed after suspected Al-Shabaab militants raided their school at dawn.
In some schools, only headteachers have been left behind as the education crisis in the county deepens, Duale said, adding that “insecurity requires a unified effort, not mass transfers”.
Olympics: 5,000m runner Kimeli sails through to final, believes 2021 could be his year to deliver
- Syombua exit in 400m heats as Botswana’s Montsho calls it a day on the track
- Olympics: Syombua fails to qualify for semi-finals of women’s 400m, finishes 5th
- Our faith looks up to thee 1,500m Olympic gold medallist Faith Chepngetich
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession