× Digital News Videos Kenya @ 50 Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Ureport Arts & Culture Moi Cabinets Fact Check The Standard Insider Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
Login ×

Two killed in horror crash on way to funeral

By By MURIMI MWANGI and KATHURE MUKURU | January 5th 2014 at 00:00:00 GMT +0300


KENYA: Two family members heading to a funeral died yesterday morning in a road accident on the busy Othaya-Nyeri highway.

The driver of the ill-fated minibus is said to have lost control of the vehicle which rammed onto guardrails. One person died on the spot while the other passed away while being treated at the Othaya District Hospital.

The accident left 37 people injured. They were admitted to Othaya District Hospital.

Nyeri South police boss Adiel Nyange asked  drivers to obey traffic rules to avoid loss of lives. 

Read More

“There are lots of black spots on this route and I urge all drivers to drive slowly and carefully,” he said.

Joseph King’ori, a survivor, denied claims the driver was responsible for the accident saying the vehicle was moving at a slow speed.   “We were heading for a burial and it is y sad that two of our family members have died on a day we were to bury another,” he said.

 In Meru, Senate Majority Prof Kithure Kindiki has accused the police of sleeping on their job following Friday’s accident at the Chuka-Meru highway that left eight people dead and several others injured.

 Speaking after visiting the scene, Prof Kindiki said the 14-seater matatu, which was allegedly carrying 22 passengers, had passed through several roadblocks before its tyre burst.

Othaya District Hospital Prof Kithure Kindiki
Share this story

More stories

Take a Break