Police study CCTV footage, mobile data in search for hospital official's killers

iSTOCK image.

Detectives are scrutinising CCTV footage at Nairobi's Woodley Estate as they seek to unravel the mystery behind the murder of Nairobi Hospital's finance director Erick Maigo.

Maigo, who was found dead in his house at the estate on Friday morning, had 16 stab wounds, according to preliminary investigations.

Directorate of Criminal Investigations detectives in Kilimani are also analysing data from the deceased's mobile phone.

The officers said the CCTV footage, which has shown Maigo's last moments and data from his phone have provided valuable clues into the murder even as they promised to get to the bottom of the matter.

The phone, the officers said, has provided details about the people the 36-year-old communicated with prior to his death.

Crime scene investigators said ten of the stab wounds that Maigo's suffered were in the chest and back.

Nairobi Hospital CEO James Nyamongo, in a press statement, called on staff to remain calm even as the police investigate their colleague's death.

"Unconfirmed reports that we have at the moment hold that Eric's lifeless body was found in his house by neighbours this morning at around 6am," the statement said.

On Saturday, sources said CCTV images captured Maigo getting home at around 11pm on Thursday.

They said Maigo, who was in the company of a female companion, left his car outside his gate and proceeded into his house.

Inside the house, police found a bottle of whisky on the table. However, there were no glasses meaning Maigo and his visitor may not have enjoyed the drink.

Police also found two blood-stained kitchen knives in the sitting room of Maigo's house.

The discovery of the knives made the investigators believe more than one person may have taken part in the murder.

At around 5am, CCTV footage captured a different person leaving Maigo's compound, according to the investigators.

Neighbours said they heard loud music from Maigo's house after he arrived home.

Kilimani police boss Moss Ndiwa said investigators have received credible information that would help them unravel the murder.