Kenei murder probe restarts after break

John Chesang, father of slain Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei, at his home in Chamasisi village, Nakuru County. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

Detectives are today expected to interview the father of Sergeant Frank Kipyegon Kenei, the slain policeman, who until his death was attached to the Office of the Deputy President.

Officials aware of the development said John Chesang had been invited to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) for “a talk” as part of ongoing probe into the murder of the officer whose body was found in his house in Nairobi on February 18.

There have been unconfirmed claims that some strangers have been pestering Chesang, who is a government officer, to state that his son committed suicide.

On his Facebook page, Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi waded into the saga, alleging a hidden agenda in inviting Kenei’s father to DCI.

But DCI boss George Kinoti yesterday declined to comment on the claims.

More statements

Other sources indicated that three police officers attached to the DP’s office are also expected to record statements today in connection with the murder of Kenei.

Police are pursuing the angle that Kenei’s death was murder and that his killers tried to make it look like suicide.

The officer’s body was found lying on the floor of his house, with a single gunshot wound on his chin. The bullet exited through the upper part of his head.

Investigators say data in the slain officer’s phone was deleted, leaving little to rely on to trace the people he last spoke to before he was murdered.

They say a suicide note collected from Kenei’s house on the day his body was found did not bear his handwriting.

“Everything was well planned to appear like suicide: Sending money to his family, leaving behind a suicide note, making his bed and leaving the gun next to his body,” Kinoti told the Press.

No arrest has been made so far.

Kenei had been scheduled to record a statement with the DCI on February 19 in connection with an incident in which former Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa and three others are suspected of visiting the second floor of the DP’s Harambee House Annex office to sign an arms deal.

Sh39.5 billion deal

Echesa, alongside Daniel Otieno, Clifford Okoth and Kennedy Oyoo, are suspected of defrauding international investors through a fake military equipment deal worth Sh39.5 billion.

They have denied charges of conspiring to commit a felony, making a document without authority, obtaining money by false pretence, and uttering a false document.

Kenei’s five colleagues have recorded statements with the DCI. They claimed they were acting on instructions to clear guests to the second floor of the Office of the Deputy President.

Detectives believe Kenei’s killers sought technical assistance to clear his phone of all its data. They say they have reconstructed the policeman’s last movements.

Kenei’s house is an extension of a main house. However, his neighbours said they did not hear a gunshot.

Investigators have ruled out suicide after examining the possible trajectory of the bullet that killed Kenei.

“If someone shoots himself while standing, you expect the ceiling to be hit by a bullet and blood to splatter, but this was not the case,” said Kinoti.

Investigation is ongoing.