Blast victims set to seek ICC help
By Protus Onyango
| August 8th 2016
Victims of the 1998 US embassy bombing are moving to the International Criminal Court (ICC) to seek compensation.
A total of 213 people were killed in the Nairobi explosion and 11 in Dar es Salaam when suicide bombers in trucks laden with explosives parked outside the United States embassies of the two cities, and almost simultaneously detonated.
Victims who were maimed and injured during the blast are now accusing the Kenya and US governments of neglecting them.
Speaking during the 18th commemoration, Kenya August 7, 1998 Bomb Blast Association Chairman George Ngige and his Kenya Association of Victims of Terrorism counterpart Eliud Mulama said they were moving to The Hague-based court.
"It is a pity that families of victims and survivors have been suffering for the past 18 years without any help from either the Kenya or US governments," Ngige said.
He said US Judge John D Bates of District Court for the District of Columbia ruled on November 28, 2011 that Al Qaeda was sponsored by Iran and Iraq.
He said Judge John M Facciolla of the US Court for the District of Columbia in the case of Odilla Mutaka Mwani versis Al Qaeda awarded Kenyans $161,309,500 (Sh16.1 billion) per person but no one had been compensated.
Woman blind and paralysed due to beatingsBeth Wambui, 29, says she is now living in fear after her husband issued death threats if she ever discloses his whereabouts.
Restoring Nairobi’s iconic librariesBook Bunk is turning public libraries into what they call ‘Palaces for The People' while introducing technology in every aspect.
PNU vows to back Raila, form coalition with ODM
By Samson Wire
- Eyes on Navy as Kenya takes tough stance on Somalia
- Grand reception for Raila as he storms Ruto’s Eldoret backyard
- Raila feted for championing unity, development
- Family pays tribute to businessman found dead in park
- Pregnancy, child loss comes with painful, silent grief
HEALTH & SCIENCE