NAIROBI: A case in which the family of businessman Ben Gethi has been barred from transferring assets for 90 days will be heard in February.
Mr Gethi is accused of being one of the beneficiaries of the Sh791 million National Youth Service (NYS) scandal.
Justice Nicholas Ombija Wednesday said he could not proceed with the matter and directed the file be placed before the judge who issued the order that barred the transfer of assets.
"I direct the matter be mentioned early February but for now I cannot issue any order," said Justice Ombija.
In a ruling, Justice Mbogholi Msagha had barred the transfer of the property following an application by the Assets Recovery Agency filed by director Muthoni Kimani. The orders had also directed vehicles in the family's disposal be seized and surrendered to police.
- 1 State agency traces money trail of Ruto's Mt Kenya ally
- 2 KRA employee's wife to surrender Sh20m to State
- 3 EACC Chairman quizzed for altering statement
- 4 I am innocent, EACC’s Mubea says in Sh50.4m suspected NYS fraud
"To avoid loss of the said property, an order is hereby issued prohibiting the sale, transfer or disposal or any other dealings with the properties for 90 days," the judge said.
Last month, the Kenya Revenue Authority recommended tax evasion charges against Gethi and his co-accused Josephine Kabura over the cash allegedly paid from the NYS. The NYS scandal led to the resignation of former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru.
The matter will be mentioned on February 2.