Reconstruction of 20 schools that were either vandalised or destroyed by bandits in the North Rift region will commence today.
Kenya Defense Forces (KDF) said the exercise will start in Baringo County, with the reconstruction of the first six schools.
Kenya Army Deputy Commander Major General David Tarus, told The Standard that works would begin in the six schools - Kapedo Mixed Secondary School, Chesitet, Kositei, Kasokotow and Kapindusum primary schools, this morning.
The former Western Command officer explained that the construction materials such as building blocks, sand and ballast have been sourced and delivered to the sites.
“Materials were delivered last week to the first six sites, and we have a timeline, which is by the end of July 23, 2023. We believe that everything would be done by then, to ensure timely delivery of the project,” the officer added.
During the Kimalel goat auction in December last year, President William Ruto ordered all the administration and education officers from the region to inspect and give results on the status of the schools affected by banditry in the North Rift region.
Most of the schools in the region were either vandalised, destroyed, or converted into homes by the marauding cattle rustlers as they raided homes and maimed residents.
In May this year, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki announced the allocation of Sh100 million towards the programme.
Kindiki said KDF would commence the work as his ministry sources for an additional Sh100 million to complete the project.