Canadian rapper Tory Lanez was on Tuesday sentenced to 10 years in prison for shooting fellow musician Megan Thee Stallion in 2020.
Judge David Herriford of the Los Angeles Superior Court issued the verdict for the 31-year-old Lanez. He had been found guilty in December of three felony charges: using a semiautomatic firearm to commit assault, possessing a loaded and unregistered firearm in a vehicle, and recklessly discharging a firearm.
The incident, which caused division within the music industry, resulted in Megan Thee Stallion undergoing surgery to extract bullet fragments from her foot.
Following the verdict, the Los Angeles District Attorney remarked that Megan Thee Stallion's prominence contributed to raising awareness about violence against women.
"The fact that she is a successful entertainer has brought an important spotlight on the issue of violence against women," said prosecutor George Gascón.
During the trial, Megan testified that Lanez discharged the firearm towards the rear of her feet. She recounted that he instructed her to dance as she moved away from an SUV which they had been in after departing from a pool gathering hosted at Kylie Jenner's residence.
“Since I was viciously shot by the defendant, I have not experienced a single day of peace,” Megan said in a statement read in court by a prosecutor on Monday.
“Slowly but surely, I’m healing and coming back, but I will never be the same.”
- Tory Lanez says he won't apologise for shooting Megan Thee Stallion
- Man arrested in connection with Tupac's 1996 drive-by shooting
Lanez’s attorney Jose Baez also spoke at a news conference after the sentencing, describing it as “incredibly harsh.”
“To get a ten-year sentence is extreme and just another example of someone being punished for their celebrity status and someone being utilized to send an example. And he’s not an example, he’s a human being,” Baez said.
He added that Lanez is “incredibly sad and down”.