Ministry finally allows interschool games in boarding schools
By James Wanzala
| November 17th 2021
The government has now allowed internal and inter-school co-curricular activities and contests. The new development is expected to offer relief to students during an intensive 11-week calendar this second term.
Troubling cases of arson and unrest in boarding secondary schools have been partly blamed on the busy calendar that has left learners with no avenues to blow off steam.
In February, the ministries of Education and Sports, Culture and Heritage developed Covid-19 safety and health guidelines to guide the gradual and safe resumption of co-curricular activities, which were suspended last year.
On October 18, the Ministry of Health recommended that interschool sporting activities could gradually resume with strict adherence to the protocols prepared by the Education Ministry, with the initial focus being on non-contact/low contact activities.
"In view of the above development, the Ministry of Education advises principals to engage learners in internal co-curricular activities and guided interschool contests over the weekend and after classes," said State Department of Early Learning and Basic Education principal secretary Julius Jwan.
Dr Jwan also said the ministry was working on modalities for the full resumption of activities "in due course."
Covid 19 Time Series
Prosecution lines up key witnesses as murder trial of Kenyan in US startsThe prosecution led by prosecutor Glen Fitzmartin told jurors that the case against Billy Chemirmir was about stalking, smothering and stealing.
Be vigilant, report any terror suspicion, state to KenyansEarlier, the Ugandan police spokesperson said three suicide bombers blew themselves up, causing three more deaths and 33 injuries.
Gideon's visit rekindles memories of Moi
- You weren’t my father’s wife, man tells Washington Olweny’s widow
By Daniel Chege
- Officer shoots dead six people including girlfriend, kills self in Kangemi
By Jael Mboga
- Mwingi bus crash survivors recount ordeal as search continues
- 11 students arrested after private school dormitory burns
- William Ruto wheelbarrow back to Kisii
By Erick Abuga