Manchester, England: A couple died after accidentally taking a drug known as 'Dr Death' which they thought was ecstasy.
Rachel Clayton, 34, and Emma Speed, 30, were found dead in a house after taking the dangerous drug PMA.
Friends of the couple discovered their bodies at Miss Clayton's home in Macclesfield, near Manchester.
At an inquest at Macclesfield Town Hall today, Cheshire coroner Nicholas Rheinberg said he believed the drug - which has the full name Paramethoxyamphetamine - was taken by mistake.
- 1 Meet Kenya’s women and men who broke virgin ground in athletics
- 2 ODM withdraws from Nakuru by-elections, backs Jubilee
- 3 IEBC official: No votes will be stolen in Matungu by-election
- 4 Save us from agents eating our stipend, the elderly tell state
As reported by the Manchester Evening News, he said: “It is highly likely they consumed PMA under the false belief it was MDMA or Ecstasy. One of the huge dangers of taking drugs is that you don’t know what the contents are.”
PMA has now caused three deaths in Macclesfield including that of Simon Flack, 34, who died in February last year.
The inquest heard Miss Clayton and Miss Speed, who had been in a relationship for almost a year, were last seen alive on April 5 last year after spending the evening with friends.
When neither women returned calls or text messages throughout the weekend friends Neil and Laura Blain, and Darren Oxley, who had a spare key, went to Miss Clayton’s house and discovered their bodies on the living room floor two days later.
Police found pink tablets with the Mitsubishi logo on, as well as cocaine and cannabis at the house.
Detective Constable Rathbone, from Cheshire Police, told the inquest that Miss Clayton’s mobile phone records revealed text conversations with her friend Dean Bateson about the supply of drugs.
However, the investigation failed to trace the supplier of the PMA.
Giving evidence at the hearing Mr Bateson denied selling Miss Clayton the PMA.
An autopsy report found high levels amounts of PMA, amphetamine and traces of the party drugs Benzylpiperazine (BZB) and Trifluoromethylphenylpiperazine (TFMPP) in the blood of both women.
Toxicologist Dr Simon Elliott told the inquest there had been 16 deaths from PMA in the UK within the last three years.
He said: “PMA is a very similar drug to MDMA, but the affects are delayed. What we find is regular users of Ecstasy get a false sense of security, think its a dud and take another and another. Suddenly the affects overcome the individual.”
Miss Clayton’s family described Rachel as 'caring and loving' while Miss Speed’s family said her death had left 'a massive hole' in their hearts. The coroner recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.