Schoolgirl, 14, flees from home to avoid father's plans to marry her off
By Robert Kiplagat | August 18th 2016
A 14-year-old girl has been rescued from early marriage.
The Standard Six pupil of Oldebesi Primary School in Narok East had been warned by fellow students that she would be married off during the August holidays.
"After we finished our exams, my schoolmates told me that I would be married off. I informed the head teacher," she said.
When schools closed, her father began preparations for her marriage.
"I asked him why and he said that he had just decided to get me a husband."
The girl fled to her teacher's house from where she was taken to Suswa Police Post.
Elizabeth Kasura, a social worker, said cases of early marriage and female genital mutilation usually increased during the school holidays.
Ex-Raila aide lays ground for Ruto's Nyanza visit
- Man attends ‘his’ burial ceremony on leaving jail
By Anne Atieno
- Duale mocks Raila, Kalonzo union, says why it will flop
- Postmortem: Missing Mombasa woman died painfully
By Brian Okoth
- Woman ‘happy’ after angry mob lynches her bloodthirsty son
- UoN sheds jobs, courses in step to cut costs as admissions dip