× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Cartoons Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Uganda's serial rapist gets life imprisonment, again

By Joackim Bwana | February 2nd 2021

Ismael Mustafa being escorted from a Mombasa Court. [Kelvin Karani, Standard]

A Ugandan serial sodomist who violently attacked a Mombasa Chief Magistrate was sentenced to life imprisonment for defiling a minor in 2019.

Ismael Mustafa was also convicted to life imprisonment in 2010 for defiling another minor aged seven but was later acquitted by the High Court upon appeal.

Mustafa has also been charged with causing disturbance in court after he attempted to attack Mombasa Chief Magistrate Edna Nyaloti twice.

On Tuesday, Mustafa was sentenced under tight security. He was surrounded by about ten wardens.

The magistrate ordered Mustafa’s photograph and details be entered into the sex offenders register.

“The accused is sentenced to life imprisonment and the photograph and details be entered into the sex offenders register. He has 14 days to appeal,” Nyaloti ruled.

It is alleged that on February 16, 2019 at Bangladesh area in Jomvu, Mustafa sodomized a child of three and half years.

Mustafa had stood trial while at Shimo La Tewa after he failed to raise bail of Sh200, 000 with a similar surety.

While convicting the suspect, the magistrate said that the doctor’s report showed that the minor had a tear on his anal opening, proving that Mustafa had committed the said act of sodomy.

The magistrate said that the minor in his unsworn evidence, told the court that he was sodomised by the accused.

"The accused in his defense became violent and chose to remain silent and decided to walk out while hurling abusive words,” Nyaloti said.

Mustafa said that he was sure that the magistrate would slap him with a life sentence.

“I knew she would give me life sentence,” he said while being escorted out under heavy guard of prison officers.

He said that he would appeal the sentence because he was innocent of all the charges.“I want a paper to write my appeal.”

In a final defeated spirit, Mustafa was escorted out of the courts head bowed without any resistance, noting that he was not going to cause any chaos.

“Relax, why are you tense, I am not going to cause any fracas, I just want a paper to write my appeal,” he told the wardens.

Ismael Mustafa being escorted from a Mombasa Court. [Kelvin Karani, Standard]

Last year, during the hearing of the case, Mustafa charged towards Ms Nyaloti forcing the shaken magistrate to scamper for safety.

On September 30 2020, Mustafa again turned violent and attempted to attack Ms Nyaloti prompting her to run out of the court.

“Cuff him, this is the second time he is turning violent and attempting to attack me,” a shaken Nyaloti said as she sought refuge in her chambers.

The trouble with the magistrate began when Mustafa demanded to have his charges read afresh alleging that the charge sheet was amended.

“Your honor there is no need for you to proceed with the ruling. I have no faith in your court and want you to transfer the matter before another court. I want the High Court to decide on this matter because I feel justice is not being served,” said Mustafa.

It took the intervention of the court orderlies and prison officers to contain Mustafa who turned aggressive towards the magistrate.

In his mitigation, Mustafa said he was framed and that he was innocent.

Share this story
Ignore the global rise of India at your own peril
They have kept a low profile even on matters of the heart, which naturally know no boundaries.
Tesla to recall 134,951 134,951 vehicles
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration made the unusual recall request in a formal January 13 letter to Tesla,