The criminal charges against Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko (pictured) before a Voi court appeared to be hanging by the thread after it emerged that the chief complainant in the case had withdrawn the complaint.
Today, Voi Senior Resident Magistrate Fredrick Nyakundi will determine an application by the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) to terminate the prosecution.
Sonko has been indicted on three counts bordering on resisting police arrest, assault and disorderly conduct arising from his arrest on December 6 last year before he was flown to Nairobi to face graft-related charges.
The governor presented himself in Voi Law courts, but did not take any plea.
- 1 Sonko to remain in hospital as court blocks ATPU from questioning him
- 2 You failed country in dams project, DPP now tells Rotich
- 3 Is he fainting? Drama of 'sick' Sonko's ordeal
- 4 Politicians denied access to Sonko in Gigiri cell
The governor arrived at the court premises in a convoy of several vehicles accompanied by his security team and legal team. However, only three vehicles were allowed in.
When the court clerk read the charges against the governor, his legal team led by the lead counsel, Cecil Miller told the magistrate that the complainant in the case wanted to withdraw the complaints against the governor.
Miller told the court the complainant, Coast Regional Police Commander Rashid Yakub had filed an application seeking to withdraw the assault case.
Mr Nyakundi adjourned the matter to today.