× Digital News Videos Africa Health & Science Opinion Columnists Education Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Gender Planet Action Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS


Omondi's lifeless body was found on the floor 18 hours after going to bed

By Mireri Junior | Feb 14th 2020 | 2 min read

Millicent Odhiambo (centre) mother of late Wendani MCA Cyrus Omondi is overcome by grief at her Wendani home after receiving news of the ward rep’s death. [Standard]

The final moments of Kahawa Wendani MCA Cyrus Omondi life could have been so painful after his lifeless body was found on the floor of a hotel in India’s suburb Mulund located north-east of Mumbai.

According to one of the India dailies on Friday, Omondi must have struggled alone for more than 18 hours after his body was found on the floor of Trimurti Hotel room on Wednesday evening following frantic calls from Indian guides.

The guides are said to have looked for Omondi after he failed to emerge from his hotel room on Wednesday, the fateful day his body was discovered in the room.

The ward rep is reported to have arrived in India on February 6 as part of the organisation team for the tournament and checked in Trimurti hotel, Mulund.

Martial arts meeting

Omondi was part of a representative committee for an international martial arts tournament that started in India on February 1.

“Contrary to Kenya’s media reports that Omondi was with colleagues from the education committee, he was also part of representative committee for an international martial arts tournament,” said police reports in India.

The MCA was very active on Tuesday and went to bed after dinner, but did not emerge the following day prompting a search from concerned guides.

After frantic calls by the guides, the hotel management opened the MCA’s room on Wednesday evening only to find his lifeless body on the floor.

Heart attack

The management informed the police who took him to the nearby MT Agarwal Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The body was moved to Rajawadi Hospital morgue pending an autopsy to establish the cause of the death.

Back at home Omondi’s family have dismissed reports indicating that the MCA could have suffered heart attack saying he had not shown any sign of sickness.

 “What I am hearing - that my son died of a heart attack in a hotel room - is strange. Cyrus never had any health problem. We are optimistic that the post-mortem will tell the truth,” said, Omondi’s mother Millicent Achieng.

Achieng said she met her son before his trip to India last week who told him he would return on Sunday evening.

 “He was jovial and in high spirits as usual, nothing like sickness, that was the last conversation I had with him,” she said.

Kiambu leaders have eulogised Omondi from Siaya as an astute leader who showed that ethnicity was slowly losing its place in Kenya after winning a seat in the county.

Share this story
Nairobi Women's Hospital probed over bill inflation claims
Nairobi Women\'s Hospital was on Thursday probed over allegations that patients were being overcharged
When Njonjo almost resigned over coffee smugglers
Known as the era of black gold, it began in 1976 when Ugandan farmers decided to sell their coffee in the private market.