Gachagua: Opposition to call protests over fuel prices, 'failing economy'
National
By
Okumu Modachi
| Apr 19, 2026
[Collins Oduor, Standard]
The opposition has threatened to proceed with mobilising nationwide mass protests if the government fails to lower fuel prices, even as they accuse President William Ruto's administration of presiding over failed economy.
Addressing a rally in Nairobi's Kawangware slums yesterday, former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua maintained that the opposition would not back down on their call for protests, saying that the seven-day ultimatum to Ruto to reduce the pump prices remains in place.
Gachagua said Kenyans were already struggling under the weight of high transport costs and soaring commodity prices, warning that patience was running out.
“Cost of transport has increased. Cost of all commodities has shot up,” he said, adding that the opposition would “tell Kenyans to come out in the streets and paralyse the country” if the government failed to act.
READ MORE
KCB shareholders approve Sh22.5b dividend payout
National Bank reports 275pc jump in Q1 profit
New push to increase funding for research and development
Kenya positioned as Africa's next AI innovation hub
Chaka's housing boom bets on investors' demand for city-style
New coating system looks to spruce up Kenya's construction finishes
Court declines to fast-track petition against EPRA fuel prices
Govt moves to close Sh56bn rice import gap with irrigation push
Changing face of Nairobi's downtown as investors splash billions on new skyscrapers
This despite the government lowering fuel prices by Sh9 on super petrol and Sh10 for diesel just within 24 hours after initially increasing by Sh28 and Sh40 on super petrol and diesel respectively.
He dismissed the adjustment as cosmetic, insisting that the government had the capacity to significantly lower prices by removing what he termed as punitive levies, including the Sh40 charge per litre that has drawn public criticism.
"The other day we gave him seven days to reduce the cost of fuel, and remove the Sh40, if he fails, we will tell Kenyans to come out in the streets and paralyse the country," added the Democracy for the Citizens Party (DCP).
The latest threat comes in the wake of calls for protests by a section of the youth who have announced that they will take to the streets come next Tuesday to push for reduction of the cost of the fuel products by the government.
The government had, however, dismissed the calls for protests arguing that the demonstrations were not a solution to the hike in prices of the essential commodity.
"There are others saying that because fuel prices have increased globally, they will hold protests in the country. I want to ask, if they protest, will the cost of fuel decrease?" he said on Wednesday 15 during his tour of Kisii and Nyamira counties.
Gachagua also accused his former boss of betraying ordinary citizens and presiding over economic hardship despite earlier promises to uplift low-income earners.
He accused the administration of mismanaging the economy and eroding livelihoods, claiming that even small-scale traders and boda boda operators—once central to Ruto’s political messaging—had been abandoned
In a scathing attack, Gachagua ridiculed the President over remarks suggesting that some motorcycle operators were using kerosene, terming the statement as evidence of disconnect from reality.
“He has taken us for a ride,” Gachagua said. “He is confused.”
The opposition figure further accused the President of undermining key sectors, including education and healthcare, while alleging that the government was engaged in the sale of national assets.
“Ruto has destroyed everything,” he said. “He came saying he is a leader of the common man. That he will uplift mama mboga and boda boda operators and lied to us that he will put money in our pockets. Even the little we had he has robbed us,” said Gachagua.
Uncertainty has, however, clouding the protest calls as Nairobi police commander Issa Mohammud said he had not received formal notice and that no "illegal" demonstrations will be allowed.
"We operate strictly within the law, guided by the Public Order Act and the constitution, which guarantees a right to assemble, demonstrate, present petitions peacefully and unarmed. We do not oppose or give permissions but we facilitate lawful assemblies to ensure that the citizens exercise constitutional rights safely and without interference," the Nairobi police boss said on Friday, 17.