Cousins gang raped, murdered and hanged from a tree

Uttar Pradesh, India: Two other people are still being hunted by the police following the brutal assault which is alleged to have taken place on Tuesday.

This picture shows two cousins who were murdered in India after being raped in India.

Murti and Pushpa were both hanged from a mango tree following the brutal assault that three men have now confessed to.

The search for two additional suspects continued today for a fourth day.

India has a long history of tolerance for sexual violence, but the gang rape and killing of the 14 and 15-year-old cousins in Uttar Pradesh state caused outrage across the nation.

Police officer Atul Saxena said today that police were preparing identity sketches of the two missing suspects based on descriptions provided by the arrested suspects.

Authorities also have arrested two police officers for failing to investigate when the father of one of the teenagers reported the girls missing in a tiny village in Uttar Pradesh.

NDTV reports the girls - from the low-caste Dalit community previously known as the "untouchables" - disappeared after stepping out to go to the bathroom, prompting their families to search through the night.

Their bodies were found at dawn, hanging from trees in an orchard, and post mortem examinations confirmed they had been raped before their deaths.

The girls' families allege five men from the village are responsible for the brutal attack, with one arrest made.

But the families also claim police refused to investigate the girls' disappearance or help with the search for hours after they were reported missing.

Angry villagers blocked a road in protest at the "alleged police apathy", and a case of conspiracy has been filed against two local policemen after they were accused of ignoring the families' requests for help, and protected some of the men responsible.

The officers have been suspended while the allegations are investigated.

The case will bring back memories in India of the brutal gang-rape of a student on a Delhi bus in December 2012.

The 23-year-old died from horrendous injuries sustained during the attack, and her death prompted an overhaul of legislation on sex crimes, as well as calls for changes in attitudes to women.