Three people have been killed following a Saturday afternoon attack in Sugubo village Nyacheki area Kisii.
The three are said to have been killed following a long-standing family land tussle that has lasted for over 40 years.
The three farm labourers were slashed to death after which the mob set ablaze two houses in the area. Another worker is nursing injuries.
Kisii County Police Commander Charles Kases said he had been informed of the incident and deployed officers for investigations.
Nyamache Sub County Police Commander Kipkulei Kipkemboi visited the scene and said the search for the perpetrators had begun.
An eye witness told the Standard that the mob accessed the compound by climbing over a perimeter wall before launching an attack on two workers who were seated in the compound.
"They later set ablaze one of the houses where two other men had taken cover. Unfortunately, the two were cornered as they made an attempt to escape from the mob." the source said.
One of the sons who died last week is yet to be buried and locals had erected a tent at the elder son's parcel of land.
Stay informed. Subscribe to our newsletter
Locals say the family has had family land conflicts for more than 10 years. The elder brother is said to have allocated himself the entire family land and before his death, few days ago, he had been forced to seek shelter elsewhere.
Before the incident, police officers had been guarding the elder son's compound a move that angered locals.