';
×
× Digital News Videos Opinions Cartoons Education U-Report E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian SDE Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
Nairobi governor Mike Sonko at a past function. (File, Standard)

Nairobi
Nairobi is in the safe hands of President Uhuru Kenyatta, Governor Mike Sonko has told his electorates.

Nairobi is in the safe hands of President Uhuru Kenyatta, Governor Mike Sonko has told his electorates.

In an interview with Citizen TV on Thursday night, the governor insisted he was still in control of the capital and that he has always worked with the National Government on county matters in the past.

“The president means well for the people of Nairobi… The best person who has portrayed leadership in this great country is none other than Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta,” Sonko said.

Admitting that Nairobi is a difficult county to run since it is ‘full of cartels’, Sonko said he had played his role as a governor well.

SEE ALSO: Lift lockdown to ease economic pain, leaders say

“If I failed Nairobi people, why I’m I still winning awards for my performance as Nairobi Governor,” he posed.

On why he signed the agreement to transfer certain functions to the State, Sonko denied claims that he was forced into the deal that clipped his powers.

“There is no back room deal between the president and me in handing some county functions to National Government. After all, I have a pending corruption case. Nobody forced me to sign any agreement.”

But the outspoken Governor was hesitant to highlight on the events that led to the signing of the agreement that was witnessed by the Speaker of the Senate, Kenneth Lusaka, Attorney General Paul Kihara and Devolution CS Eugene Wamalwa.

He said that the City takeover was temporary. “I have an ongoing case in court. The person who could help us was the President…  So far he (Uhuru) has shown us a good example.”

SEE ALSO: Broke Kenyans return to work as ground shifts on Covid-19

The Governor handed over the key functions to the National Government in February.

The four functions are, Health, Transport, Public Works and Planning.

The take-over deal is set be effective from March 25, 21 days from the date of its execution.

The Governor surrendered the key functions in the face of a looming impeachment and a corruption case in court.

Days after the signing of the deal, Uhuru hosted Nairobi County leaders at State House, Nairobi and directed Members of the County Assembly not to impeach the governor, who was also in attendance.

SEE ALSO: BBI purge begins

The President said impeaching the governor would complicate service delivery in the city and urged the MCAs to shelve the idea.

The censure motion which had been set for debate on Tuesday, March 25 was then dropped, days after the court temporarily barred ward representatives from discussing it.

Nairobi Assembly Speaker Beatrice Elachi directed MCAs to respect the court decision as they are entrusted with upholding the rule of law.


Mercy Asamba Nairobi County Governor Mike Sonko President Uhuru Kenyatta

Read More