Kisumu county bans night discos to curb crime
The government has banned night discos at funerals or social gatherings in Kisumu County.
County Commissioner Susan Kariuki said anybody found playing or attending the discos will be arrested and charged.
''It in in these discos where youth commit felonies such as murder, assault or battery,'' she said.
Police reports indicate almost 80 per cent of vehicular homicide and burglary are recorded during the discos.
Kariuki directed all assistant county commissioners, chiefs and their assistants to be vigilant and enforce the ban.
She said the common causes of deviant behaviour are negative peer influence and drugs, all of which are common in discos.
The security officials asked chiefs to ensure they enforce the Nyumba Kumi initiative.
Kariuki spoke during the 56th Jamhuri Day celebrations at Jomo Kenyatta Sports ground in Kisumu town.
Governor Anyang Nyong'o criticised the National Treasury for frustrating the 35 counties, including Kisumu, which were blacklisted over unpaid bills.
He said the delay in payments had disrupted development projects.
''Penalising or denying us funds based on past historical injustices is not economically feasible. We must engage in the reconstruction of Kenya in a good way,'' said Nyong'o.
So far the county bosses, through the Council of Governors chairman Wycliffe Oparanya, took issue with additions made to the initial list of 15 to 35.
The names of the counties are contained in a Treasury circular dated December 5 by acting National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yattani addressed to Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua, Attorney General Kihara Kariuki and six others.
The affected counties are Kisumu, Taita Taveta, Bungoma, Siaya, Turkana, Meru, Samburu, Nakuru, Murang'a, Mandera, Kisii, Busia, West Pokot, Trans Nzoia, Embu, Kakamega, Marsabit, Kitui, Wajir and Lamu, among others.
During a recent Inter-Governmental Budget and Economic Council (IBEC) on June 8, it was resolved that the ministry would release at least Sh65 billion to all counties on or before June 30 to enable settlement of the eligible pending bills.
Kisumu Deputy Governor Mathews Owili announced that doctors on strike will be promoted.
''We have passed the resolution in Cabinet and plead with striking doctors to resume work,'' he said.
Health sector operations are currently paralysed by the doctors' strike.
They are demanding better payments.
Owili appealed to the striking doctors to call off the strike and promised them better remuneration.
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.