Property of an unknown value was reduced to ashes after fire razed down a dormitory at Musingu Boys High School in Kakamega on Saturday morning.
The fire is said to have been caused by an electric fault.
Principal Benson Lukuyi said a welding machine that was being used to repair windows at the dormitory exploded.
“Madaraka Taifa dormitory was housing books, lockers, mattresses and other students' personal effects," he said.
Lukuyi said around 9.30am, the welding machine exploded and set the dormitory on fire.
The principal told parents the 354 candidates sitting the ongoing Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) exam are safe.
“The candidates are safe and we have talked to them to remain calm as the management is sorting out the issue," Lukuyi added.
This comes barely two months after another dormitory went up in flames, affecting more than 120 students.
The cause of the first fire was also an electric fault.
Kakamega Sub County Police Commander Joseph Chesire said investigations have been launched.
Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale, who lives close to the school and an alumni, was among the first leaders to arrive at the scene.
He urged parents to remain calm as the situation is under control.
“We want the contractor who constructed the Oparanya dormitory a few months ago to be recalled and write a statement over the matter," Khalwale said.
According to Khalwale, those who carried out the wiring might have used substandard material.
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.