The family of a General Service Unit officer who was killed in the 14 Riverside attack says they will be holding a fundraiser for his funeral on Wednesday.
It is unclear why the government is not taking care of the funeral bills given the officer was regarded as a hero who died while saving lives.
An official at the Interior ministry “promised action” once the concerned parties are alerted on the development.
The family of Japhet Nuru said funeral arrangements are underway and an M-Pesa Paybill number set up under the account name “Japhet Funeral Fund”.
“Meetings for funeral arrangements will take place today at Kindergarten Hall and Wednesday at ACK Hall, All Saints Cathedral, starting from 5pm,” an obituary read.
The 28-year-old, who was attached to the presidential guard, was shot and killed by one of the militants who raided the DusitD2 complex.
All the attackers were killed by Special Forces. Another attacker blew himself up earlier on at the start of the attack, triggering the incident.
More than 700 people were rescued as the gunmen continued to lay siege at the complex before they were felled by police bullets.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i and top ministry officials together with Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet met with the officer’s family last Friday at the GSU headquarters.
He also met with other officers based in Ruaraka to thank them for their service during the Riverside attack.
Usually, government caters for all funeral expenses of officials killed in such incidents.
The move by the family elicited uproar on social media, with many asking why the government is not catering for the expenses.
Families are burying those who died in the siege.
We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.