survey
Today's Paper
You are here  » Home   » Africa

Death toll hits 48 in Boko Haram attack on Nigeria troops: sources

By AFP | Published Mon, September 3rd 2018 at 16:06, Updated September 3rd 2018 at 16:12 GMT +3
Boko Haram militants. Boko Haram has intensified attacks on military targets in Nigeria in recent months. [Photo: AFP]

The death toll from a Boko Haram attack on a Nigerian army post on the border with Niger has risen to 48, military sources said on Monday.

Scores of Boko Haram fighters in trucks stormed the base on Thursday in Zari village in northern Borno state and briefly seized it after a fierce battle.

Boko Haram, which has been waging a deadly insurgency in Nigeria since 2009, has intensified attacks on military targets in recent months.

At least 30 Nigerian soldiers were intially said to have been killed in Thursday's raid.

"The casualty toll now stands at 48 with the recovery of 17 more bodies of soldiers in surrounding bushes in Zari by search and rescue teams," a military source who did not want to be named told AFP.

"Search operations are still ongoing and more bodies are likely to be recovered."

Another military source confirmed the new death toll.

Your opinion is valuable. Take this quick survey to help us improve the website and content

"So far (the) bodies of 48 troops have been recovered. Yesterday rescue teams found 17 bodies of fallen soldiers," he said, adding that they included two officers and 46 soldiers.

"When the troops were overwhelmed by the terrorists they withdrew in different directions."

Map of Nigeria locating Zari where the death toll from a Boko Haram attack on an army post has risen from 30 to 48, military sources say. [Photo: AFP]

 


Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites? You can now email us breaking news, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected]

RECOMMENDED