You are here  » Home   » Nairobi

Police rescue four-year-old boy who was kidnapped by armed robbers in Thika

By Cyrus Ombati | Published Tue, January 10th 2017 at 20:15, Updated January 11th 2017 at 08:10 GMT +3
Residents and friends mill around the home of a Thika family where a 4 year old boy was kidnapped by unknown gunmen on Friday evening. PHOTO BY KAMAU MAICHUHIE.

Police have rescued a four year old Kelson Kimani who was kidnapped from his Thika Home on Friday.

The boy was rescued in Kasarani area in Nairobi Tuesday evening and three suspects arrested as they moved him from Ruaka to Mwiki. Head of Flying Squad Mr Saidi Kiprotich said the gang was moving the boy to a safer house after realizing their hideout had been known.

"They had been hiding the boy in a house in Ruaka and they were intercepted as they moved him to Mwiki. The boy is in good health but he has to be checked by doctors," said Kiprotich.

The operation was jointly conducted by Special Crimes Prevention Unit and Flying Squad.

Police said those arrested were two women and a taxi driver.

It was joy for the family of the boy which has been worried since he was kidnapped.

Know if news is factual and true. Text 'NEWS' to 22840 and always receive verified news updates.

On Monday, four other suspects were arrested in connection with the kidnapping.

The four include a next door neighbor of Kelson Kimani’s family and a woman who opened the gate allowing the gunmen to enter into the compound.

Thika West OCPD Erastus Muthamia said police suspect the gunmen could be operating as a syndicate.

On Friday evening, at around 6:30pm four gunmen raided Kimani's home in Thika's section 9 area where they stole a huge amount of money believed to be the proceeds of the family day's business sales before kidnapping him.

Images of the kidnapped boy have been shared widely as the aggrieved family pleads with the kidnappers not to harm the boy.

"We just want our son back or left somewhere open where we can trace him. We hope he does not get harmed," said Wambugu Kimani, the boy's father.

The gunmen armed with pistols terrorized the family demanding for more cash on that day before taking off with the four year old to an unknown destination.