Mexico City rail overpass collapses, killing 15 and injuring 70
By Reuters | May 4th 2021
15 people were killed and 70 hurt when an overpass carrying Mexico City metro train cars partially collapsed on to a road on Monday night, authorities said.
A dramatic video on local channel Milenio TV shows the overpass of the metro's 12-line collapsing on top of cars on a road below.
Videos on television and social media showed emergency medical crews and firefighters combing through the wreckage looking for survivors.
Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said 15 people were killed and that a car was trapped under the rubble.
Sheinbaum said on Twitter "Unfortunately there are dead and injured people. I am on-site supporting the installation of the command centre."
The city's Comprehensive Risk Management and Civil Protection Agency initially put the toll at 13 and 70 people injured.
The metro's 12 lines were built when Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard was mayor of Mexico City.
"What happened today with the Metro is a terrible tragedy. My solidarity with the victims and their families," Ebrard said on Twitter.
"Of course, the causes must be investigated and responsibilities defined. I reiterate I am at the disposal of authorities to help in whatever is necessary."
Emmanuel Korir wins Kenya's first Gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Kenya’s drought in women’s steeplechase goes on and on
- Athing Mu: 19-year-old Sudanese prodigy shining for USA at the Tokyo Olympics
- Factbox: Coronavirus cases at the Tokyo Olympics
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession