Senegal confirms first coronavirus case: health ministry
By Reuters | March 2nd 2020
Senegal’s health minister on Monday announced the first case of coronavirus in the country, the second case in sub-Saharan Africa after one was confirmed in Nigeria last week.
The patient is a French man who lives in Senegal and flew back from France on Feb. 26, Health Minister Abdoulaye Diouf Sarr told reporters. The patient had since been in contact with his wife and two children and is now under quarantine in a hospital in the capital Dakar.
The rapid spread of the new coronavirus has increased fears of a pandemic, prompting governments to step up control measures and sending global markets into a dive.
As of Monday, there have been over 89,000 cases of the virus globally, the majority in China, according to a Reuters tally. Outside of China, it has spread to 66 countries, with more than 8,800 cases and 130 deaths. Globally, the illness has killed over 3,000 people.
North African countries Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt have also confirmed cases of the virus.
Covid 19 Time Series
Sexual relations with a cousin: What the law says
- BMW driver dies after hitting truck on the Southern Bypass
By Mate Tongola
- Otiende: My removal from JLAC has nothing to do with BBI
- Kivutha Kibwana faulted for hiring brother as Health chief officer
By Grace Nganga
- Puzzle of SMS, tweet that sunk Raila ally
- Want to know the truth about the dead? Read the obituaries
By XN Iraki