By Standard Digital Reporter
|Controversial Muslim cleric Aboud Rogo. (Photo:File/Standard)|
Gunmen shot dead the radical Muslim cleric in Bamburi area in Mombasa.
The cleric was killed when the van he was travelling in from Mtwapa towards Mombasa with three other people on board was sprayed with bullets near Pirates Beach.
Two of them have sustained serious injuries and rushed to hospital as his body was taken away.
According to the wife, Haniya said Saadar, Aboud who was driving the van was taking one person to hospital when the incident occured.
A conflict arose between police and the clerics' supporters as the latter fought to have custody of the body. In a private ambulance, the supporters seized the body claiming to take it to Kikambala, Kilifi for burial.
A Salvation Army church near the Majengo mosque where a service for the deceased was being held was set on fire. Protesters were dispersed as they tried to attack another church, Jesus Celebration centre in Tudor.
More to follow...
- AAR and hospital ‘treated me harshly’ in my hour of need
- New technology could end Kenya’s historic land woes
- Which way for the civil society in today’s Kenya?
- Achebe does not need any foreign decorations, more so in his death
- Africa supports President Uhuru on Hague
- Why women, youths and Church should drive truth team’s agenda