Gmail SMS can run on so-called "dumb phones" which only have very basic features and no access to the internet.
The service has so far been made available in Ghana, Nigeria and Kenya.
The search giant describes its efforts in improving computer science training as "an important goal for Google in 2012".
It recently offered grants to 17 universities to expand its Computer Science for High School project.
However lack of access to affordable hardware is still seen as a critical barrier to technology adoption across the continent.
- Clerics want foreigners in sex scam deported
- Petitioner in case against Obure election is an imposter
- Man gets 20 years in jail for raping 80-year-old woman
- Ukraine's finance ministry denies "drunk" claims against minister
- Sweden jails Rwandan for life for role in 1994 genocide
- Uhuru ICC trial begins Nov 12