Fire guts another dorm in two months at Musingu Boys
By Nathan Ochunge
| November 9th 2019
Property of an unknown value was reduced to ashes after fire razed down a dormitory at Musingu Boys High School in Kakamega on Saturday morning.
The fire is said to have been caused by an electric fault.
Principal Benson Lukuyi said a welding machine that was being used to repair windows at the dormitory exploded.
“Madaraka Taifa dormitory was housing books, lockers, mattresses and other students' personal effects," he said.
Lukuyi said around 9.30am, the welding machine exploded and set the dormitory on fire.
The principal told parents the 354 candidates sitting the ongoing Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) exam are safe.
“The candidates are safe and we have talked to them to remain calm as the management is sorting out the issue," Lukuyi added.
The dormitory housed Form One and Three students who are at home for the holidays.
Nothing was salvaged.
This comes barely two months after another dormitory went up in flames, affecting more than 120 students.
The cause of the first fire was also an electric fault.
Kakamega Sub County Police Commander Joseph Chesire said investigations have been launched.
Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale, who lives close to the school and an alumni, was among the first leaders to arrive at the scene.
He urged parents to remain calm as the situation is under control.
“We want the contractor who constructed the Oparanya dormitory a few months ago to be recalled and write a statement over the matter," Khalwale said.
According to Khalwale, those who carried out the wiring might have used substandard material.
Just like in Kibra, defeat awaits you in 2022, Arati tells DP rutoLegislator says Kenyans are behind President Uhuru Kenyatta and Raila Odinga
Opening Ceremony: Kenya takes her pride of place as 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games beginTeam Kenya Paralympics strolled majestically into the Tokyo Olympic Stadium led by captain Rodgers Kiprop and Powerlifter Hellen Wawira for the Openin
Kenyans react after Arimis ‘new design’ goes viral
By Betty Njeru
- 7 ways to avoid a ‘Baba Gloria’ moment on WhatsApp
- 'Sudi’s KIM diploma has Adm. No. of Scholastica Achieng and Serial No. of Elkana Kimutai'
By Paul Ogemba
- I don't mind competition, Ngirici reacts to Waiguru's defection
- Kakamega bishop gifted car by DP Ruto in September dies
- Nakuru mother seeks help after school bins son’s ‘unhealthy’ lunch box
By Daniel Chege