Health CS Mutahi Kagwe on Friday spoke on the hundreds of
Chinese nationals who were seen at JKIA leaving the country.
Asked whether they knew something that Kenyans did not, Kagwe
said their travel arrangements had been organized earlier and they are going
back to their country.
The CS added that there was no need for alarm as Kenya was
also doing the same in different countries.
“We are not concerned about the Chinese leaving Kenya… there
is nothing they know that we do not know.
“They are free to do so. We are doing the same,” he said.
- 1 13 Airlines affected in JKIA terminal changes
- 2 Covid-19: 123 positives, 412 recoveries
- 3 Ghosts of airport land evictions haunt state
- 4 Sh350m airport project to be ready next month
His sentiments were echoed by Transport PS Solomon Kitungu
who said most of the Chinese who were seen at the airport were part of
“During this Covid season we have been allowing essential
services. On the Chinese this was a matter that had been previously processed,
it was an arranged flight,” he said.
On Friday, the
country recorded 723 new positive cases taking the cumulative number to
patients succumbed to the virus and Kagwe said even young people are losing
their lives to Covid-19.
“From KNH, a 22-year-old lady passed away. From Kiambu Level
5 Hospital, a 37-year-old, 28-year-old & 24-year-old have died.
“This virus is not leaving anyone out. Do not think that
being young, makes you an exemption. The 28-year-old had no underlying
condition,” said Kagwe.
On a more positive note, there were 44 recoveries, taking the total number of recoveries to 8165.