Why Speaker Beatrice Elachi stares at yet another impeachment
By Nzioka Justin | July 27th 2020
Nairobi County ward representatives have reportedly renewed
their war to oust the assembly's speaker, Mrs. Beatrice Elachi.
MCAs, allied to Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) and Jubilee
Party, have gathered at least 59 signatures above the required 42 signatures to
table an impeachment motion.
This is the second attempt by the MCAs to impeach the
speaker following allegations such as office abuse, militarizing the assembly,
law disregard, victimizing assembly members and staff, impunity, corruption,
poor leadership, and unlawful appointment for the assembly's clerk.
Ms. Elachi's impeachment notice is set to be presented on
Monday, July 27. She was previously ousted in 2018, after over 100
members gave the nod to her ouster.
She got reinstated through a court order in October 2019, setting a new battlefield in the assembly.
Following the political wrangles
associated with her reinstatement, she threw the then assembly's clerk Mr.
Jacob Ngw'ele out of office.
She further dismissed Jacob from the Public Service Board,
together with Majority leader Abdi Guyo, and ex-minority leader Elias Otieno.
3,000m steeplechase duo of Chepkoech and Kiyeng duo chase elusive medal
- Cheruiyot is just happy to have finally raced at the biggest stage
- Olympics: 5,000m runner Kimeli sails through to final, believes 2021 could be his year to deliver
- Syombua exit in 400m heats as Botswana’s Montsho calls it a day on the track
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession